There's great danger for the loneliest ranger of all.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

I have declared Thursday "Loud Music From My Office Day," and it's a righteous day to be alive. We're starting with a two-fisted sonic assault from Husker Du--the barrage of New Day Rising (1985), their last blaze on Greg Ginn's SST label, followed by the record that blew my seventh-grade skull to shrapnel, Zen Arcade (1984), a throbbing, pulsating, seething slab of scorched-earth, pissed-off alienation that'll turn your speakers into a crumbling inferno. I discovered it back around 1985 during a visit to Audio Addict in Albany, Oregon, a record dealer tucked like a shameful secret into a crevice behind a carpet warehouse. That's the way Albany was then and probably is today: Carpet is bountiful, but loud music is for jackoffs and creeps. No matter. They couldn't hide it from me. I stormed that store with babysitting money and found me a vinyl copy of Zen, two whole records for 10 whole bucks. Couldn't beat that. 'Twas my first double-LP. I felt very grown-up. Zen Arcade took a few songs to settle into a malleable groove (the whole thing was decadent to ears trained to admit nothing more eccentric than Murray Head's "One Night In Bangkok"); but by the rolling guitar skronk of "Chartered Trips" I was lipsticked, fucked, bought, and sold. I can't say I abandoned Top 40 forever, but a few doors of perception got kicked to kindling.

Zen Arcade will be followed by Isis' Celestial (2000). I saw 'em live, opening for the Melvins at the Troubadour back in March. They literally turned the air to sweat, playing for their very lives. Then a sentimental favorite, King Missile, and their latest offering, The Psychopathology Of Everyday Life (2003); they'll never top the sweetness of "Cheesecake Truck" and "Jesus Was Way Cool," but they'll die trying, and I give 'em props for that. Everyday's a little toothless, but I'm gonna gauge reactions to the track "The President," three-four minutes of "Fuck you" and "scumbag." Then it'll be time to cool my hot ass out with Sparks' No. 1 In Heaven.

Today's gonna be a fuckarow, baby.


2 Comments:

Blogger DeAnn said...

I have to comment to mention how freaking awesome your photo is. How was it taken? Who took it? And why?

It's VERY Cool. It looks like something from a movie. Was that the intent?

August 27, 2004 at 12:29 AM

 
Blogger Fried Productions said...

Actually, D-A, it's a screen grab from a short I did for DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR, a show that ran on KBVR a few years back. That one was shot probably around the summer of 2000, shortly before I left for California. We were sitting around the studio one weekend, and we ended up improvising a parody for a stale action trailer parody called THE FOLK SINGER, kind of a dig at DESPERADO. I played the title role.

The depicted scene has actually been manipulated to make the pistol appear more daunting. In real life the barrel wasn't quite that long. In fact, the gun was actually light and plastic and went KAK! KAK! KAK! when you pulled the trigger.

August 30, 2004 at 2:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
  • Google News
  • Do Your Family Portraits Lack A White-Winged Dove?
  • I Ain't Dead Yet, Motherfucker!
  • The Good Reverend
  • MizzzzzzNelson
  • DeAnn
  • Air America
  • Salon
  • The Onion
  • Modern Humorist
  • She Once Found Herself In The Strangest Places--LIKE THE LOVERLORN ABYSS OF MY SOUL
  • The Heartbreakin' Rift Between Pie 'n' Wimmins
  • A Syllabic Pancake House o' Worship: Where Lester & Christgau Went to Live Forever
  • Rock's Back Pages
  • Boy Howdy Returns; Will Anyone Answer the Door?
  • Crawdaddy!