There's great danger for the loneliest ranger of all.

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Random thought for a lunchtime:

Can you believe someone actually got paid for submitting the "I'm Lovin' It!" campaign to McDonald's, and that McDonald's went ahead and trademarked the phrase? First off, it should be illegal to copyright a vapid, slimy exclamation that's been part of the social lexicon for, oh, at least 30 years. It's not even regionally exclusive (though I must admit I've heard it a million more times in Los Angeles meeting rooms than I ever did in Oregon). That's like claiming ownership of "Hello, how are you?" or "Looks like rain." Secondly, if you're going to trademark something, it should be clever--BY LAW. How can you possibly be proud of masterminding "I'm Lovin' It!" when there are so many brilliant turns of phrase orphaned in the wind, flashing their gams in an attempt to capture an enterprising copywriter's attention? Why couldn't you give it just six more minutes, then burst into the Golden Arches conference room and say, "You know, I can't think of a goddamn thing to sell your crappy food. What was wrong with You Deserve A Break Today? Not hip-hop enough for Grimace? Why don't you just drape Mayor McCheese in a Kangol pajama suit, slap a Sprite into his bling-blinged paws, and have him say, 'I got me a QP Deuce-Deuce and some Macked-Out Fries, and I'm lovin' it like a pimp loves a bitch who knows when to shut the fuck up and get me my Benjizzos' and have Yellowcard do the 'two all-beef patties' bit, except make the 'patties' a reference to big booties and have the lead singer go wink-wink when you get to the 'special sauce' part, and Ronald really needs a wifebeater and bleached, spiky-red hair."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
  • Google News
  • Do Your Family Portraits Lack A White-Winged Dove?
  • I Ain't Dead Yet, Motherfucker!
  • The Good Reverend
  • MizzzzzzNelson
  • DeAnn
  • Air America
  • Salon
  • The Onion
  • Modern Humorist
  • She Once Found Herself In The Strangest Places--LIKE THE LOVERLORN ABYSS OF MY SOUL
  • The Heartbreakin' Rift Between Pie 'n' Wimmins
  • A Syllabic Pancake House o' Worship: Where Lester & Christgau Went to Live Forever
  • Rock's Back Pages
  • Boy Howdy Returns; Will Anyone Answer the Door?
  • Crawdaddy!